Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fixing rotor cracks

More often this problem happens to Neon and Signature Powerballs. The rotor of these models have the same design and the same weakness. Rotor fins are not hard enough and can be broken at speed of 10000 rpm. And that is what happened to my Signature. Approximately after 2 weeks of using it, my Signature started making very loud and very weird noise. It was like crying on pretty low speed at about 8000-9000 rpm. Also it started making very strong high frequency and low amplitude vibration (electric shaver like) which made it impossible to hold the Powerball in my hand, I was "feeling" the vibration even when I didn't use Powerball. It was like staying feeling in my hand. Also I got blisters, lots of them.

So, I have open my Signature and found cracks on all 4 fins of the rotor from both sides in pretty same places.



After reading some topics of NSD Powerball forum I understood that this is the problem. I have contacted RPM Sports and they've immediately sent my the new rotor. But shipping takes time and I couldn't wait, so I've decided to fix my rotor myself. The idea was about using epoxy glue. I was taking into consideration that I could disbalance the rotor if I will put a lot of this glue, but first, I had nothing to loose, second I have tried my best to make it as much as accurate as I could.

So, to fix the cracked rotor of Powerball you need:

1. The rotor :-)
2. Epoxy glue, I took special for plastic with the strength of 3500 lbs/inch which is hardest I could find
3. The brush. It is important! Not a stick, not a finger, but brush with which You can put the glue gently and accurately inside of the rotor.
4. Paper



You push the glue out on a piece of paper



You mix glue components with the brush, that makes it a glue actually



Then you paint all fins of the rotor from all the sides, and, if you want, you put some little amount of glue on LEDs, just to fixate them.



Ok, the work is done, now let it dry for at least 24 hours. Remember even if your epoxy glue becomes hard after 5 minutes it still needs to be dried out for at least 24 hours. Putting just painted rotor into you Powerball could seriously damage the counter, so don't do it. Put it away of your Powerball for 24 hours for complete dry.



Now, when the rotor is dried out put it back into you Powerball and start spinning. With my broken and then glued rotor I am doing 12411 rpm, although before this repairment I could hardly make 8500 rpm with the same rotor. Ball was just jumping out of my hand because of that bad vibration.



Of course, all this is just on your own risk. If You have cracked rotor you MUST first contact RPM Sports for replacement and they will help you immediately, but if you want to fix you rotor by your self You might do what I did.


HHH

~~~~~~~

10 comments:

  1. scv said: "After my success (thanks to Estereos idea) now I think that epoxy can fix anything if you apply it right
    Was spinning for about two hours now (watching TV and making up for not spinning yesterday), whith speeds reaching almost 12k (this is my personal max) - and everythig still looks, feels and sounds good"

    ReplyDelete
  2. My respect 2 Estereos. Did the same thing with my Neon yesterday. I used russian epoxy glue "extra strong" series. Before I did only 10k RPPM on my Neon, but today I reached 13238rpm. Also I did 13240 on normal 250Hz Pro. I think that is the best way to give your powerball 2nd life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are glued balls still valid for official world records?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd been getting really low scores recently and thought maybe it was me!!

    How happy I was when I finally opened my Signature and discovered the same problem!

    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely try this. Realized there were cracked fins on my motor when I began to feel vibration

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've sent my PB (amber neon) back to the retailer and they said the vibrations and loud noise are due to a few puny scratches my PB had at the time. So they sent it back.

    Yesterday I discovered this page and opened my PB and there were cracks on all 4 fins and even one crack on a small fin on the opposite site of the rotor. So I bought epoxy glue and followed your instructions and my PB is like brand new.
    So I'd wish to thank you for your contribution Tofig Kareemov and send greetings to Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rly nice fix u made. My question is should I paint my new rotor to make it stronger and not breakable or should I wait to brake and then paint

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is all up to you. I would paint before it brakes. But if you do, do it accurately. Don't put a lot of epoxy to not destroy rotors balance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greate article. Keep posting such kind of information on your
    page. Im really impressed by it.
    Hello there, You have done an incredible job. I will definitely
    digg it and in my opinion suggest to my friends.

    I am sure they'll be benefited from this website.
    My web site > perfumes baratos

    ReplyDelete